Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    FFXI Information: Retired

FFXIV Information:
    Character Name:
    Morcheeba
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BC Black Metal

Re: The Zimmerman Verdict

It's strange that I keep hearing that shit, had it been the other way there wouldn't have been nearly as much coverage. Probably not. However it seems to me there is actually more coverage for Caucasian tragedy. For instance missing children, historically more Caucasian children get coverage and mass media attention than inner city black/Hispanic children. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it seems to me. I think it's sad man. Who gives a fuck what colour someones skin is, I personally think it should be covered no matter the heritage/race, especially when it's of dire importance (ie; children). Again, that's just me, and I have the bleeding heart syndrome.

I Reckon.
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    FFXI Information: Quetzalcoatl
    Linkshell:
    PhoenixPimps

FFXIV Information: Istory
    Character Name:
    Raesvelg Helheim
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Raesvelg Steam ID: Raesvelg

If Trayvon had been white, it wouldn't have been much of a media event. It's possible that they could have turned into a gun control rallying cry, but considerably less likely. If Zimmerman had been black, same situation.

Where people start wildly speculating is that if Trayvon had been white, Zimmerman wouldn't have pursued him. To be honest, I don't think it would have changed a thing.

Buaidh no Bās
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

FFXIV Information:
    Character Name:
    Morcheeba
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BC Black Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Raesvelg View Post
    if Trayvon had been white, Zimmerman wouldn't have pursued him. To be honest, I don't think it would have changed a thing.
    Either do I because the only profiling I think Zimmerman did was based on his attire and assumed age.

I Reckon.
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Linkshell:
    PhoenixPimps

Character Name:
    Raesvelg Helheim
    Gamer IDs

Oh, I think he profiled him, in the sense that "some young black males wearing hoodies have been burglarizing/invading homes in the neighborhood", because, well, that happened. But under the circumstances I expect he would have been suspicious of a young white male given what he perceived as erratic behavior on Trayvon's part.

Red Mage Extraordinaire
    Reputation Reputation
    Character Name:
    Elemmire
    Linkshell:
    TheNameless

FFXIV Information: Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Raesvelg View Post
    is almost undoubtedly the one who threw the first punch.
    Other than based on Zimmerman's testimony alone, where's the other evidence that removes doubt?

"In gaming there are two types of people. Those who like to kill other people, and those who like to kill the environment.. and if you combine those two people you get the Republican Party" - Jay Mohr at Blizzcon 2010
    "Apparently studies have shown that most people can't come up with the opposites of these words in less than 30 seconds: 1. Always 2. Coming 3. From 4. Take 5. Me 6. Down" - Random YouTuber

So many good games!
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Character Name:
    Ecks
    Linkshell:
    The Slayers

FFXIV Information: Anon
    Character Name:
    Ecks Grimoirath
    Character Level:
    Character Race:
    Elzen, Duskwight
    Linkshell:
    FC: Path of the Twelve
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DrkEcks07 Steam ID: -SOF-Ecks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebu6Yvzs4Ls

Anyone seen this yet? Sounds about right. Yup. Leaving that here.

I Reckon.
    Linkshell:
    PhoenixPimps

Character Name:
    Raesvelg Helheim
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Elemmire View Post
    Other than based on Zimmerman's testimony alone, where's the other evidence that removes doubt?
    Bear in mind that what I stated was "almost undoubtedly". Note the qualifier.

But as for evidence that indicates that Martin threw the first punch, it's varied, most discerned through deductive reasoning.

To begin:

Zimmerman has no incentive to initiate a fistfight with what he likely perceived as a larger opponent. He's carrying a gun, after all. His intent is to either follow or apprehend Martin; a fistfight serves neither of these purposes.

Martin decides to turn around and initiate a confrontation. In that action, we get a glimpse of his state of mind: confrontational.

Martin bears no wounds save the bruises and scrapes on his knuckles and the gunshot wound to his chest.

To compound on Martin's lack of wounds, the guy who receives the first punch is fairly likely to get hit by it, particularly if there's no buildup to violence in the confrontation. It's why they call it a "sucker punch".

Zimmerman's keys are found on the ground at the initial point of confrontation. If Zimmerman had been preparing to do violence, it's likely he would have put his keys away to get both his hands free, or utilize his keys as a weapon. If he's attacked, however, it's likely that he would drop his keys in order to defend himself.

And of course there's that part where, in an interview with the Huffington Post, even the star witness for the prosecution Rachel Jeantel stated that she believed Trayvon hit first.