View RSS Feed

Raesvelg

Supernatural Paradox.

Rate this Entry
It's a double-header. I should probably be going to sleep, but between the cough, the headache, and the soul-crushing depression, that might take a while.

Anyhoo.

Paradox might not be the right word, really, but it's an interesting conundrum nonetheless.

See, when someone attributes an event to supernatural causes, the typical argument is that it's something that "cannot be explained". That, since it lies outside of the individual in question's understanding, it is therefor inexplicable.

And yet, at the same time, this person is, in fact, explaining the event.

It's supernatural.

It's a fucking cop-out is what it is. Show an iPad to someone from the Bronze Age and that shit is fucking voodoo magic, but anyone of the digital era knows, roughly, how it works.

Some of us more than others, of course.

Attributing something to supernatural causes is easy. It's simple.

It's lazy.

It's also incredibly maddening for those of us who can occasionally witness highly intelligent people taking that expedient route to explaining away something that they didn't understand.

I'll admit, I've occasionally gotten a bit... acerbic with people who believe in ghosts.

Lazy Person: "Did you hear that?!?! Do you think it was a ghost?"
Raes: "No. It might have been a goblin though."
Lazy Person: "What? What do you mean, a goblin?"
Raes: "Goblins. Three feet tall, invisible, like to make noises in the middle of the night, live under your bed and steal socks from the dryer? Goblins? What, you're not telling me you don't believe in goblins?"
Lazy Person: "Hah. There's no such thing as goblins."
Raes: "And yet you believe in ghosts, which have exactly as much evidence for their existence. Doesn't that strike you as... a bit odd?"
Lazy Person: "Well, all that energy from when we're alive has to go somewhere, doesn't it?"
Raes: "Yes. It does. It's called 'decay'. Also 'putrefaction', 'rot', and 'decomposition'."
Lazy Person: "No no, I mean, all that energy in the brain, all those electrical impulses and stuff."
Raes, holding his head in pain: "Let's be clear on one thing; the amount of energy involved in the functioning of the brain is not that impressive; if we're going to start attributing 'ghosts' to anything with a complex structure through which electricity flows, I think we'd all best start watching out for the dreaded Ghost of Deep Blue, that stalks the hallways at night, endlessly reenacting its victory over Gary Kasparov."

And from there, it tends to go downhill.

Quickly.

This is not to say that all phenomena can be explained. Our understanding of the universe is so imperfect and incomplete that there's no way that that could be true.

That's not an excuse to forgo the effort of even trying.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments